Monday, August 21, 2006

This GM post is approved for human consumption.

So what is the big deal about GM food? I just read this article about how Japan is freaking out about some rice. There is also a link to an old article about China, and from there links to protests in the UK.
This brings me back to a story I read about a multiple Nobel prize winner, who discovered a drought resistant strain of wheat. This was back during the worst of the African famines (not that it is really that much better now) he dropped everything to go and teach the people how to grow this new crop.
Shortly after he left, some missionaries came along and convinced the people not to eat the wheat because it was "unnatural". This was shortly followed by even more famine related deaths because the villages had stopped other farming (scarce as it was) because this new crop would feed them.
I can understand if researchers did not test the crops before being put into widespread production, people having an issue. If you handed me a slice of pizza and told me that it just came off of a GM tree, and that you are sure it should be just fine, yet were wearing a bio-hazard jumpsuit, I might...MIGHT...have second thoughts. But c'mon there is a point when the potential hazard drops well below the potential gain.
Besides, we all might need those gills if this whole "global warming" myth holds any truth.

3 comments:

Syl said...

I love when "missionaries" spread the word of god so much that more people die of starvation than before. Now THAT'S the Lord's work. Holier-than-thou %&()&^.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Well, I guess those missionaries must have been awfully convincing...
But I hear you on the GM stuff - especially since they're talking about adapting some pigs so they have high levels of omega-3. And wouldn't we all much rather eat bacon than fish?

Jaysan said...

mmmmmm....I like bacon