CLARIFICATION: I am not talking about the gender of the word that some languages use, try thinking as if it is a joke...
You may not have known this, but a lot of inanimate objects actually have a gender. That's right, they are either male or female. Following is a list of examples, see if you can guess which are male and which female.
1. Freezer Bags.
2. Photocopiers.
3. Tires.
4. Hot Air Balloons.
5. Sponges.
6. Web Pages.
7. Trains.
8. Egg Timers.
9. Hammers.
10. Remote Controls.
FYI - stolen from another website, who stole it from somewhere else, I'm sure.
I'll post the answers in a couple of days.
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Hmm, let's see...
I think the first 5 are female & the second 5 are male. (Based primarily on, uh, form, I guess.)
1. male
2. male
3. male
4. female
5. female
6. male
7. male
8. female
9. male
10. male
just random guesses
Here's the Trotter, Kashka & A Playa to Named Later consensus:
1. Female
2. Male
3. Female
4. Male
5. Female
6. Male
7. Maler than the Washington Monument.
8. Female
9. Female
10. Male
How close are the german assigned genders?
1. Der Gefrierbeutel (male)
2. Der Kopierapparat (male)
3. Der Reifen (male)
4. Der Heissluftballon (male)
5. Der Badeschwamm (male)
6. Die Netzseite (female)
7. Die Eisenbahn (female)
8. Die Eieruhr (female)
9. Der Hammer (male)
10. Die Fernbedienung (female)
What I want to know is who decided these objects were masculine or feminine? Which language it this based on? Because it isn't American English -- at least not last I'd heard.
I think it depends on who's calling them. In my experience people vary and sometimes change which they're calling something within a couple sentences...maybe those are transgender objects.
Hee! transgendered objects- funny! :)
Here's my theory- the ones that are multi-use/multi-task = Female
Single use= Male
1. Female
2. Female
3. Male
4. Male
5. Female
6. Female
7. Male
8. Male
9. Male
10. Male
I love AKJ's theory!
I don't know what gender they are. I just know that in Wogese they are all "that thing(ie)" or "the thing(ie)".
Post a Comment