So, for those of you that know me, I am a gizmo/gadget junkie. I had the first cell phone amongst my group of friends. Since then I have had 5 different cell carriers and 8 different phones, but at least I have been pre-paid since that first one. I don't like the contract based services, they are way too proprietary. If I had been in Europe through these years, I probably would not have had as many phones. They have this wacky thing called interoperability. Meaning, I buy a SIM card and that is me-no matter what phone I stick it in. You can do that here (in theory) with AT&T and T-Mobile, but not nearly as easy. I decided against the iPhone, cuz I WON'T sign into a contract, though the pre-paid hack still tempts me. I am thinking that I will probably unlock my, currently useless, AMP'D mobile phone to use it on the AllTel network that just opened up here after their purchasing of Midwest Wireless (formerly Cellular 2000, my first cell provider).
I had to have the first combo computer/TV, the 36" Destination XTV from Gateway. As soon as it became affordable to have a Mac PVR, got that (to replace the Sony PC with TV tuner that didn't record). When that 36" monitor died, I had to have a projector. When the projector bulb blew, I had to get a big LCD TV (though not as big as Syl's monster Plasma). Within a couple of years, I will have a dedicated home theater, with true surround sound and a HD projector.
I have several obsolete computers with all of their peripherals, we missed the local clean up days, when it would have been cheap to recycle them. Combined, we have 3 iPods in the house (one of which is an old dead one, I really just need to take into the apple store and turn in), and I have designs on another.
And now that I have gotten used to the satnav system in the Prius, maybe have to think about a portable one for the 'Stang...ACK!
Sunday, November 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
The Hennepin recycling center in Brooklyn Park takes electronics for free.
Um, does 21st Century Digital Boy ring a bell?
Be sure to ask the recycling center where they send their stuff. many places send it to China where it just ends up as toxic waste or where they unsafely break it down.
And though U.S. states increasingly require that electronics be sent to collection and recycling centers, even from those centers, American firms can send the e-waste abroad legally because Congress hasn't ratified the Basel Convention.
Post a Comment