I was over at Crave and I saw an article about a deal between Apple and Fox to allow iTunes movie rentals. So I told the Sexy Blonde that I expect Macworld to be all about the AppleTV and iTunes rentals. I hope that this means that Apple is going to update the AppleTV to not only let you browse and watch rentals, but also add a built in HD-PVR (Personal Video Recorder).
Those that have been over here know that I run a Mac Mini with an external PVR box hooked up to the 42" LCD. Most of you do not know that it definitely leaves some things to be desired. It allows you to pause live TV, but this effects the transfer time between the encoder-Mac-display, so that when you are running through the Digital Comcast On-Screen Guide, it takes a couple of seconds to catch up. It also records at sub-broadcast resolution. So even though the Mini pumps out 720p to the TV, the picture looks like the 11 year old RCA in the basement, and nothing akin to what we should be seeing from Digital Cable. The format it records in, is not a normal one, so you either have to use a special player program or run a conversion to burn or send it.
I have seen some newer versions now that handle HD programming, have built in conversions to the iPod or iDVD standard, even have a 'lossless' setting designed for game consoles that don't have the delay. So it is not too much to ask Apple to get some of these technologies and bundle them into their little unit.
Heck, if they were smart, they would make another version built into the Mac Mini case that included a combo Blu-Ray/HD-DVD reader/DVD burner. I bet for $599-$799, those would FLY off the shelves (I know one would fly into this house). If any of you out there know Steve or Jon, please pass this along....
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment